plastic bottles, and cardboard tubes
to build the armatures for their
towers and applied three layers of
papier-mâché to create the desired
surface. Finally, students tore small
pieces of colored construction paper
and created mosaic surfaces with lay-
ers using papier-mâché.
Michele Kessler is an art teacher at Gate-
way Middle School in Maumee, Ohio.
N A T I O N A L S T A N D A R D
Connecting: Relating artistic
ideas and work with personal
meaning and external context.
W E B L I N K
How do artists...
• Find inspiration from nature?
• Use the elements of art and
principles of design in sculpture?
• Build an armature from recycled
• Use papier-mâché to sculpt?
• Finish sculptures with mosaics?