SchoolArts Magazine

OCT 2010

SchoolArts is a national art education magazine committed to promoting excellence, advocacy, and professional support for educators in the visual arts since 1901.

Issue link: http://www.schoolartsdigital.com/i/148359

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 41 of 67

Elementary Studio Lesson ic St ie la er a P ag eN m Mary Jane Hadley S Choosing an everal years ago, I looked at a Inspiration plastic drink bottle and saw a Students began by bobble head sculpture in the making sketches making. Bobble heads had of three different become quite popular, depicting all designs, planning sorts of sports figures, animals, and front, back, and side even presidents. I thought this would views of their sculptures be a good project for my fourth gradsince they would be workers. Since then, we have made bobble ing on three-dimensional forms. They heads every year, keeping the basic chose celebrities, their parents, themsteps the same, but adding improveselves, birds, bugs, or different kinds ments along the way. of animals. This year, the subject was left wide open to my students. I began by showConstructing a Skeleton ing examples from my collection of Once students made their subject bobble heads—a president, a baseball choices, they filled their bottles threeplayer, a dolphin, a lion, a penguin, quarters of the way and a self-portrait. I demonstrated I always encourage my with the fillings they brought from home. how an empty students to come up The remaining space plastic drink bottle with a plan, and to in the bottles was must be filled with filled to the brim something to give it make it happen. with oil-based, nonweight so it would hardening clay. Students then began not fall over. I collected the bottles making what I called the "skeleton" of from our field day, but asked students their sculptures. to each bring in sand, pebbles, dry Any appendages students wanted beans, or cat litter to fill their bottles. to add had to be well-thought-out. 40 October 2010 SchoolArts Possibilities of construction included cutting pieces out of cardboard, using little pieces of wood, chenille stems, non-hardening clay, beads, or anything else found around the artroom. The heads were made with a Styrofoam ball. Appendages could be added to this, as long as they were not too heavy. Appendages were glued to the

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of SchoolArts Magazine - OCT 2010